Thoughts of a multimedia madman

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Search engine woes

I don't normally question the effectiveness of search engines, especially not Google but since starting this blog several months ago I haven't failed to notice that my blog is practically invisible to Google in terms of link references and content indexing. I find this very odd as my rather outdated website www.ssonic.co.uk has been well indexed by practically all search engines and is easily found but my blog was completely invisible and barely visible even after a promotional blitz. Initially I thought it was just a lack of interest but as I gained recognition from other search engines like Yahoo and MSN Search I noticed that Google was still ignoring me and I started to think why that is. At first I thought maybe Google was doing a bad job compared to other search engines who are trying to play catch up with their success, I even tried submitting my blog as a site and adding a sitemap but all that failed although Google BlogSearch can find me but only because it reads the atom feed. It seems strange, why would a Google owned blogging service hosting a blog on a Google owned server not be indexed by Google? I tried one last idea, I validated my website using the W3C validator and it generated 49 points in its report. From the report it would appear my Blogger account is generating crappy HTML/CSS which in turn makes it difficult for a browser or search engine crawler to parse which is rather silly seeing as all this code was generated and provided directly by Blogger itself.

Of course this theory for my lack of search engine indexing has not been validated yet, but seeing that no search engine is indexing my content I will be very interested to see if when I correct all or most of these mistakes whether this blog gets indexed properly. I'll update the blog if I have success and I'd warn any casual blogger that it might be worth checking to see how valid the HTML your site generates is.

See my current validation status here: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmmediaman.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home