Thoughts of a multimedia madman

Monday, February 21, 2005

Your software and the alternatives

Have you ever felt like you want to develop a piece of software that is better than everything you have seen and yet you don't have the spare time and resources too. The media client and server I've been working on are designed around the ideals and principals that I feel encompass the ideal goals of a modern home entertainment system. However every so often you see a new piece of software that seems to be lightyears ahead of what you want to do in terms of functionality, particularly in the OpenSource arena. Several times I've felt like possibly giving up my own creation to work on something further along the lines towards a complete home entertainment system with a community of developers already behind it. The problems that keep me from committing myself to working on an OpenSource effort is not being able to follow my ideal design and having to slot into an existing codebase which can potentially be difficult to pick up. I wonder how many other people face similar situations with software they've been developing themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home